Where we need to use Python ?

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Mon Aug 20 13:59:15 EDT 2007

Terry Reedy a écrit :
> |"Bruno Desthuilliers" Terry Reedy a écrit :
> |
> |> The CPython implementation of the langauge compiles Python to
> proprietary
> |> byte code
>
> |Hahem... "proprietary" is certainly not the right term here.
>
> a. you are being nitpicky,

Possibly.

> overly in my opinion

Possibly too.

> b. you failed to suggest a better term,

True. What about "specific", then ?

> hence cannot expect the same of me

This is debatable, but I don't feel like debating on this.

> In any case, CPython is owned by PSF (which gives it away).  Its bytecode
> is an private implementation detail subject to change in any .x version as
> the developers see fit.

Which AFAICT doesn't make it "proprietary", for the common definition of
"proprietary" wrt/ softwares. Python is free software, which means that
anyone can freely write either it's own Python compiler (which is
basically what Jython and IronPython are) or write a compiler for any
language to CPython's VM.

Sorry for being so nitpicky.