Does shuffle() produce uniform result ?

Paul Rubin http
Fri Aug 24 21:53:30 EDT 2007

tooru honda <tooru_honda at fast-mail.org> writes:
> The reasoning is as follows: Because the method random() only produces
> finitely many possible results, we get modulo bias when the number of
> possible results is not divisible by the size of the shuffled list.
>
> 1. Does shuffle() produce uniform result ?

The nonuniformity is too small to matter.  But what is the
application?  If you are doing something like implementing online
poker for real money, you shouldn't use the built-in RNG.  It is not
designed for what we call adversarial indistinguishability from true
randomness.  Instead, use the random byte stream available from
os.urandom() and derive your random numbers from that.