status of Programming by Contract (PEP 316)?

Russ uymqlp502 at sneakemail.com
Wed Aug 29 08:45:28 CEST 2007


On Aug 28, 10:58 pm, Michele Simionato <michele.simion... at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Why do you think that would ad a strong positive capability?
> To me at least it seems a big fat lot of over-engineering, not
> needed in 99% of programs. In the remaining 1%, it would still not
> be needed since Python provides out of the box very powerful
> metaprogramming capabilities so that you can implement
> yourself the checks you need, if you really need them.

I get the strong impression you don't really understand what
programming by contract is.

I have not yet personally used it, but I am interested in anything
that can help to make my programs more reliable. If you are
programming something that doesn't really need to be correct, than you
probably don't need it. But if you really need (or want) your software
to be correct and reliable as possible, I think you you should be
interested in it. You might want to read this:

http://archive.eiffel.com/doc/manuals/technology/contract/ariane/page.html




More information about the Python-list mailing list