Handwriting Recognition

dogatemycomputer at gmail.com dogatemycomputer at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 15:26:07 EDT 2007

> > import handwriting
>
> >http://docs.python.org/lib/module-handwriting.html
>
> > ha ha, I kid, I kid.
>
> > I don't think this is an easy problem to solve.  You'd probably want
> > Python to be a wrapper around whatever hand-writing recognition
> > software you find or buy.  I know handwriting recognition software can
> > read the hand-writing on checks, so that may be a starting point.

I once had someone explain to me how this actually works from a purely
mathematical standpoint and the topic was fascinating.  Unfortunately
most of the math went straight over my head and, in the end, it was
explained to me that math itself is the problem.  Handwriting (and
almost any other uncontrolled input) is usually emotional, not logical
in the strictest sense (which is why handwriting experts can tell a
great deal about a person from the handwriting).  If you can mimic
handwriting (or any emotional) input in a mathematical expression then
you wouldn't be far from playing "god".

This was the only thing I could find that may be helpful to you:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/tomoe/

This includes a "stroke editor" and an engine which may suit your
needs.  Hope this helps..

Good luck!