Co-developers wanted: document markup language

olive ocollioud at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 07:58:12 EDT 2007

On 24 août, 13:34, Wildemar Wildenburger <wilde... at freakmail.de>
wrote:
> olive wrote:
> > What you need is good structured text editor which hides as much as
> > possible the underlying XML (or other) format.
>
> What you do there is pose extra requirements on the user ("Use a text
> editor with some far-out functions"). That will prevent your (well,
> Torsten's ;)) standard from spreading easily. Plain text (read: less
> intrusive) markup is a way better approach there, IMHO, because it can
> be done in any old editor.

We are talking about two different things: data entry and document
publishing.

for me ODF is good for document publishing only.

I agree that Plain Text Markup is usually better than XML even with a
good XML editor and a simple schema.

But few people are used to Plain Text Markup (excepted in some
scientific area maybe) and it is error prone.

This is why some user-friendly PTM or XML based editors are needed.

Good user-friendly editor will help in spreading standard.
OpenOffice is a good example for ODF but this has never happened to
XML or any other markup language.

Olive