(Re)announcing APL 2007

rjp at ca.inter.net rjp at ca.inter.net
Fri Aug 10 12:40:41 EDT 2007

On Aug 6, 9:20 am, Paul Mansour <p... at carlislegroup.com> wrote:

> APL2007 Roll Call: Is anyone going to this?
>
> I'm thinking about going, but I don't want to the only one to show up,
> as in San Diego.

Here here.

Sorry to mention the elephant in the room, but this discussion begs
the obvious question:  what is the rationale for putting on this
conference?  Perhaps I missed that discussion, and if so, please
excuse me.

As we know, there are already two well-attended APL vendor conferences
in the world each year, plus several other more local gatherings.

Speaking as an APL consultant and product distributor, this puts
people in a tough spot, since we now have at least three events to
consider travelling to and attending (assuming APL2000 is hosting its
usual Florida event this year?).

I suppose I should be happy for another opportunity to meet and
network with potential APL colleagues and customers, but if it's
mainly the same small audience at each event, the costs are hard to
justify more than once per year.

I don't have any answers to this dilemma yet, but I think it requires
a lot more discussion. Just putting on a conference and hoping people
attend may, at this point I think, be somewhat counterproductive.

...richard