Google message munging (was: Live editing...)

kirby.urner at gmail.com kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 17:04:45 EDT 2007

> What the blazes is Google doing with messages that such a high
> proportion of them come through in this painful-to-read double-wrapped
> format? I'm referring to the fact that the lines appear to have been
> wrapped at one length, and then each line broken again into a long and
> a short line.

I entirely agree with Ben Finney's remarks.  Painful for
an author to see a post mangled that way too, writers
being also readers.

Back to the original thread (sort of): I think the deeper
issue is the relationship between "shell" (REPL),
"debugger" (per WingIDE 101 for example) and "runtime"
ala Python just crunching through a .py file.

The OLPC people are pushing for exotic "live debugging"
and think Python is deficient in this regard, not as a
language so much as an environment (which Guido need take
no responsibility for, though he often has and does).

My tossing out of some ZODB-based solutions was mostly
just an ice-breaker.  I don't mind that it ended up
prompting discussions of formatting.

Anyway, back to thinking about iterator types:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2007-August/008168.html
( python.next() might trigger a fork/jump to a next "live"
interpreter, leaving behind "snake skin" or "ghost" interpreter
available for "live" interventions? ).

Kirby