mmm-mode, python-mode and doctest-mode?

John J Lee jjl at pobox.com
Tue Aug 7 15:49:43 EDT 2007

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007, Edward Loper wrote:

> [John J Lee]
>> Is it possible to get doctest-mode to work with mmm-mode and python-mode
>> nicely so that docstrings containing doctests are editable in doctest-mode?
>
> I recently released a new version of doctest-mode [1], and I came across your
> email [2] (it was on the first page of google hits for "doctest-mode").  So I
> decided to have a go at getting doctest-mode to play nicely with mmm-mode.
> The result is available here:
>
> https://python-mode.svn.sf.net/svnroot/python-mode/trunk/python-mode/doctest-mode.el

Nice!  Works for me so far (emacs 22).

I'm also very pleased to see that doctest-mode no longer attempts to
auto-fill at the end of long lines -- that was extremely annoying, and the
new behaviour is a big improvement.

Here's another wish.  My next-nearest doctest-mode annoyance: hitting TAB
should have similar behaviour to python-mode.  So, the first press of the
TAB key gets you a sensible guess at the indentation you want.  The second
and subsequent TAB keypresses cycle through no indentation, '>>>'
indentation, and '...' indentation.  Ideally this would be made to work in
combination with the standard indentation-cycling behaviour in those cases
where multiple indentations are allowed within Python code (so, it might
be ' ...         ', '', '    >>> ', '    ... ','    ...     ',
' ...         ' as the TAB key is repeatedly pressed).

>> `doctest-example'
>>
>>     Used to edit doctest examples in text-editing modes, such as
>>     `rst-mode' or `text-mode'.  Docstring submode regions start with
>>     optionally indented prompts (>>>) and end with blank lines.  Use
>>     (C-c % C-e) to insert a new doctest-example region.  When
>>     `doctest-execute' (C-c C-c) is called inside a doctest-example
>>     region, it executes all examples in the buffer.

I couldn't immediately see how to get this working in a .doctest file, so
haven't tried this yet.

Another wish: Even though I don't normally run code from emacs directly, I
do think it would be very handy indeed to be able to execute a *single*
doctest example from doctest-mode.  Don't know what keybinding would be
conventional...

John