Question: wxpython and 3d engine example with model load ?

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at vrplumber.com
Thu Aug 23 10:09:22 EDT 2007

OpenPavilion wrote:
> I would like to create an application, which uses wxpython tree, menu
> and grid elements and embedds a 3d view of some of the listed objects
> in an own detail window, so showing the object as a 3d model.
> I know there is PyOpenGL as well, but I need to load complete models
> (meshes done with cinema4d or blender) into the 3d view.

There's a bit of sample code in OpenGLContext/bin (yes, yes, I know,
part of PyOpenGL, which you don't want) that does a
VRML-97-scenegraph-rendering window + a shell (you'll need the latest
CVS version to work with modern wxPythons).  There's commented out code
that inserted a tree (to show the scenegraph as a tree, but I haven't
got that finished).

Other options:

    * I think Pivy (Coin/Inventor wrapper) could likely be embedded in
      PyQt (it has a Qt-based window operation IIRC) if that's an
      acceptable compromise.
    * http://www.python-ogre.org/wiki/DownloadsPage seems to suggest
      there's an example for using Ogre with wxPython/wxWidgets.
    * http://panda3d.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?=&p=11555 suggests there's
      a way to get panda3d and wxPython working together

I don't see a soya + wxPython page in a few seconds of googling, so I
guess finding that is left as an exercise for the reader.

HTH,
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher
  Designer, VR Plumber, Coder