Tkinter weirdness on Windows

Russell Blau russblau at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 15 11:23:15 EST 2007

I have some Tkinter programs that I run on two different machines.  On Machine W, which runs Python 2.5.1 on Windows XP, these programs run just fine.  On Machine H, which runs Python 2.5.1 on Windows XP, however, the same programs crash regularly.  The crashes are not Python exceptions, but rather are reported by Windows as errors in pythonw.exe.  (Of course, the error messages themselves contain absolutely no useful information.)  This happens whether I run them from the command prompt or from IDLE (although IDLE itself never crashes).  Further, the crashes occur at unpredictable times; sometimes the program will crash almost immediately upon startup, while at other times it will run for a while and then crash.

A couple of other points that may or may not have something to do with it.  (1) Both programs use the threading module to launch new threads from the GUI.  (2)  Machine H, but not Machine W, also has Python 2.2 installed on it.

I do recall seeing a message at some point that suggested that conflicts in the MS VC++ runtime DLLs might cause this sort of problem, but I haven't been able to find that information through a search, so I'm not sure which particular DLLs to look for.  Any help in tracking down the source of this problem would be appreciated.

Russ