Why does __builtins__ mean different things...

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Fri Dec 21 04:25:15 EST 2007

James Stroud wrote:

> Thank you for your help. I will import the __builtin__ module as you
> have suggested--it is what I need.
>
> But....what the heck? You mean if I drop an s I get predictable behavior
> and if I don't, I get unpredictable behavior?

You don't get unpredictable behavior, you just get different behavior
you didn't expect, which is not the same thing.  Python is a programming
language, like any other; randomly dropping letters in names is going to
result in bad behavior, so be more careful about it.

  San Jose, CA, USA && 37 18 N 121 57 W && AIM, Y!M erikmaxfrancis
   To lead an uninstructed people to war is to throw them away.
    -- Confucius, ca. 6th C. BC