"Python" is not a good name, should rename to "Athon"

Russ P. Russ.Paielli at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 17:26:53 EST 2007

On Dec 3, 2:12 pm, "Chris Mellon" <arka... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 3, 2007 4:02 PM, Russ P. <Russ.Paie... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Dec 3, 1:47 pm, Bruno Desthuilliers
> > <bdesth.quelquech... at free.quelquepart.fr> wrote:
>
> > > Bullshit. Nowadays, anyone serious (since you seem to worry quite a lot
> > > about "being serious") about IT knows what Python is and who uses it.
> > > Heck, even MSVS now has support for Python and there's an official CLR
> > > port of it. Can't get much more "serious" (lol), isn't it ?
>
> > Not so. I know professional programmers and computer scientists with
> > PhDs who have barely heard of Python and who assumed it was something
> > roughly like Basic -- until I explained that it is a "serious"
> > language that can be used for serious work. Then there are the
> > managers ... who tend to prefer serious names. Sometimes they can see
> > past a joke of a name ... and sometimes they can't.
>
> The vast majority of languages in use today have "joke" names.
> Languages with "serious" names are pretty much limited to the
> humorless environments of military and government contracting.
>
> There's not a single competent manager out there who'll dismiss Python
> just because it's called Python. The fact that incompetent managers
> exists does not change that fact, They won't be able to create good
> software no matter what language they choose, so there's no particular
> reason to cater to them.
>
> Also, you yourself are starting to emit spikes on the trollmeter, as
> does anyone who blathers about how "serious" we need to be in order to
> ingrate ourselves with hypothetical gray faced bureaucrats.

Look what's going on here, folks. The OP *dared *to suggest that
perhaps the name of Python could be changed in the next major release.
I said it's a long shot, but I think its worth considering. And what
do I get in return. Some reasonable replies, but mostly people who
assert that the idea is absoutely absurd and completely without merit.

You'd think the OP had suggested that God's name be changed to dog.
Open your minds and let in some fresh air, folks. The name of a snake
is not sacred ... for crying out loud! Try to think "outside the box"
for a few seconds if you can. Yes, it frightening at first, but you
can overcome the fear.