missing pydoc gui

JimG jfgreen1 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 10:53:15 EST 2007

On Dec 26, 10:43 am, JimG <jfgre... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 26, 9:46 am, Bernard Delmée <bdelmee at advalvas._REMOVEME_.be>
> wrote:
>

> > FWIW I am using 2.4.4 under debian etch and 2.5.1 under windows XP,
> > and pydoc seems to support the -[pgkw] flags under both versions.
> > When trying -g under debian, I am getting a stack-trace and a message
> > inviting me to install the python-tk package.
>
> > Does "pydoc -g" provide any feedback on your installation?
>
> > One nice alternative for python standard doc is the .CHM file
> > provided at python.org. You can use the "xchm" viewer under linux.
>
> > On 26/12/2007 14:56, JimG wrote:
>
> > > Thanks for the suggestion, however, that does not seem to be the
> > > reason since I already have both tk and tkinter.  I tried adding tk-
> > > devel but that made no difference.
>
> That's the weird part.  The man page for pydoc doesn't mention -g as a
> supported option and the output of pydoc -g just prints out the usage/
> options information -- -k, -p, -w are the options.  As if the version
> of pydoc I have is built without gui support.

Uh, not the man page... the output of "pydoc pydoc."  Here's a snip:

----------------------------
Or, at the shell command line outside of Python:

    Run "pydoc <name>" to show documentation on something.  <name> may
be
    the name of a function, module, package, or a dotted reference to
    class or function within a module or module in a package.  If the
    argument contains a path segment delimiter (e.g. slash on Unix,
    backslash on Windows) it is treated as the path to a Python source
file.

    Run "pydoc -k <keyword>" to search for a keyword in the synopsis
lines
    of all available modules.

    Run "pydoc -p <port>" to start an HTTP server on a given port on
the
    local machine to generate documentation web pages.

    Run "pydoc -w <name>" to write out the HTML documentation for a
module
    to a file named "<name>.html".

    Module docs for core modules are assumed to be in

        http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/

    This can be overridden by setting the PYTHONDOCS environment
variable
    to a different URL or to a local directory containing the Library
    Reference Manual pages.  .....