IDLE question

bizcomputing at gmail.com bizcomputing at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 14:01:48 EST 2007

On Dec 16, 11:47 am, rocco.ro... at gmail.com wrote:
> I'm using IDLE for my  Python programming. I can't seem to solve one
> issue though. Whenever I try to indent a region of code, I simply
> select it and hit the tab key, as I usually do in most editors, like
> GEdit or Geany on Linux, for instance, and it works fine. But, if I
> try to unindent a region of code, which i would do by pressing Shift-
> Tab in other editors, it just won't work, and I can't find any
> combination that will.
>
> Anybody know if this operation is possible at all with IDLE, and if it
> is, what's the combination of keys?
>
> Thanx.
>
> Rock
Dealt just recently myself with this issue.  You don't say which
platform, and honestly I've not been doing Python long enough to know
what diffs may be in IDLE between platforms.  I'm running on XP.  In
the IDLE shell, I chose Options/Configure IDLE.  This brings up the
configure dialog.  Choose the Keys tab. Scroll the Action - Key(s)
list until you find dedent-region.  I'm not sure what the default
keystroke is, seem to recall something like CTRL-6 but I could be
totally wrong with that.  Anyhow, when you find that entry, you can
see what keystroke is currently assigned to that function.  You can
also Use the "Get New Keys for Selection" button to change the key
sequence.  I successfully changed it to shift tab.  When you make the
change, it will require that you name your new custom key set.  Don't
remember the whole process, but hopefully this is enough to get you
the functionality you want under the familure key sequence.

Jim