help displaying pdf thru client/server

kyosohma at gmail.com kyosohma at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 14:51:43 EST 2007

On Dec 19, 1:41 pm, "PaulS" <semen... at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Connecting to a Linux server from XP pc using a telnet program, I run a
> report and convert it to a pdf document(using Reportlab) which I need to
> display.  The pdf is on the Linux server. Ideas how to display to the pc
> would be appreciated. thanks, paul

Some ideas, none tested:

1) Use Python to download the document and from the Windows box, do an
os.startfile(path)
2) Use a Python web framework (such as Turbogears, Pylons or Django)
to display the pdf in the browser if acrobat is installed
3) If the pdf is only accessible from a machine on your local network,
than you can do #1 without downloading it if you have samba running.
I've opened PDFs on our Debian boxes like this:
os.startfile(r'\\server\path\to\pdf')

HTH

Mike