Counter-spam: Change the subject

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Dec 11 23:17:45 EST 2007

"Paul McGuire" <ptmcg at austin.rr.com> wrote in message
news:640971a3-61bf-44cc-8b95-754425008b29 at j20g2000hsi.googlegroups.com...
| On Dec 11, 2:28 pm, Steven D'Aprano <st... at REMOVE-THIS-
|
| > My ISP does a good job at filtering the spam from this newsgroup. If
| > yours does not, I feel your pain, but rather than replying to the spam
| > and changing the subject, how about if you just don't reply at all?

| When viewing in Google Groups, the original post is masked by
| subsequent posts with a different subject.  My ISP's news server only
| works for me when I am connected locally, not when I am travelling.
| So I've moved over to just using Google Groups for viewing and
| interacting with newsgroups.

As far as I know, that is unusual behavior.  In Outlook Express and, I
believe, other readers I have used, the original subject is the one
displayed.  And if I have already downloaded the original title and marked
the post as read, any reponse is just spam that prolongs the junk.  So
please do not do this.

tjr