Newbie question - what's the term for input/output to a web page?

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Sat Dec 22 16:52:18 EST 2007

Rachel Garrett a écrit :
> Thanks to both.
>
> The web page I am trying to work with happens to be .aspx, so there is
> lots of junk to wade through -- no clear way to tell my program how to
> submit information to the page. I will keep looking, though.

You don't submit information to a page, you submit informations to a web
server - thru an HTTP request FWIW. So you have to:
1/ build the appropriate HTTP request
2/ connect to the server
3/ send your request
4/ get the HTTP response
5/ do whatever with it.

There are Python packages dealing with all this, from the lowest level
to the highest - urllib2 might be a good start. wrt/ building the
request, I suppose the "page" you're mentionning has a form. Lookup the
form's controls, and you'll know what arguments you can pass in.

HTH