IronPython faster than CPython?

Ross Ridge rridge at caffeine.csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Dec 19 20:24:48 EST 2007

Jack <nospam at invalid.com> wrote:
>I learned a lot from the other thread 'Is a "real" C-Python possible?' about
>Python performance and optimization. I'm almost convinced that Python's
>performance is pretty good for this dynamic language although there are
>areas to improve, until I read some articles that say IronPython is a few
>times faster.

In my limitted experience, IronPython is slower than CPython.  I can't
actually get much to run with IronPython, but what I have been able
to get working runs slower.  In particular initialization time takes
much longer.  A command line utility of mine that takes 1.5 seconds to
run with CPython, ends up taking 20 seconds with IronPython.  That 3
seconds for IronPython's own startup and initilization, 12 seconds for
importing modules, and 5 seconds for the rest.

					Ross Ridge

--
 l/  //	  Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo]  rridge at csclub.uwaterloo.ca