Approaches of interprocess communication

exhuma.twn exhuma at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 05:11:36 EST 2007

Hi all,

Supposing you have two separate processes running on the same box,
what approach would you suggest to communicate between those two
processes.

Let me list the ones I know of:

* Sockets
   Advantage: Supported per se in nearly every programming language
without even the need to install additional packages
   Disadvantage: Lot's of code to write, and it's kind of silly to
communicate via TCP/IP if the processes run on the same machine.

* Webservices
   Advantage: Relatively easy to use, can work across different
languages
   Disadvantage: Even more overhead on the TCP/IP side that simple
sockets, as really bulky SOAP messages need to be passed around.

* CORBA -- similar to webservices but more complicated to code.

* Shared memory
  I don't know much about this subject.

Supposing both processes are written in Python, is there any other way
to achieve this? To me, shared memory sound the most suited approach.
But as said, I am still fuzzy in this area. Where can I find more
information on this subject?