Python Source Code Beautifier

Alan Franzoni alan.franzoni_invalid at geemail.invalid
Tue Feb 27 11:40:35 EST 2007

Il Tue, 27 Feb 2007 09:45:42 +0100, Franz Steinhaeusler ha scritto:

> Hello, I did not find any reasonable pyhton source code beautifier
> program (preferable gui).

Well, most of the things you ask should be written as such, not written and
then beautified!

> Use Spaces, size: 4

Your editor should support this.

> convert structs like: if (a > b):   to   if a > b:

Well... that's a matter of fact, not just style. Sometimes parentheses help
the reading; if a,b are not just plain names but somewhat complex
instructions, parentheses should stay.

> fill in spaces, but not in functions between operators:
>
> a+=1 => a += 1
> p(t + 1) => p(t+1)

Code should be written this way.

> self.scriptcount = self.scriptcount + 1 => self.scriptcount += 1

the += operator is syntactic sugar just to save time... if one doesn't use
it I don't think it's a matter of beauty.

> from "is" to "==" and "is not" to "!=" (ok a find replace could do that
> easily also), but in a program that would be more comfortable.

what? No, I think you're missing the difference between 'is' and '=='. You
could say it the other way for None, True, False, e.g. if there's a 'a ==
None' it could be safely converted to 'a is None', but again: this should
be done while writing the code.

> break long lines (in a reasonable way)

well... this could be useful sometimes, but again... 'reason' is usually
something human beings should employ, and shouldn't be 'outsourced' to
computer programs.

> make from:
> if len(string) > 0: => if string:
> and
> if if len(string) < 1 orr if string == ""  => if not string

That's impossibile! Python is dynamically typed! How could the 'beautifier'
understand what the 'string' name is bound to? It could be whatever object!

> detect mixed line ending
> detect tabs mixed with space
> trim trailing whitespaces.

Those are editor tasks.

Get a good Editor or IDE. You haven't told us what OS are you on. If you're
on Windows, UltraEdit can do most of the things you'd like. And don't rely
on a software to correct human behaviours ^_^.

--
Alan Franzoni <alan.franzoni.xyz at gmail.com>
-