when will python 2.5 take in mainstream?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Feb 22 12:54:54 EST 2007

> Its simple to require changes, not so sure that doing these
> modifications keep things simple. Maybe an internal Python hacker can
> give us his advice on such a modification (ie. staying compatible with
> legacy modules compiled for previous versions).

I think it should be possible to specify a Python API that then future
versions can guarantee. This would be a subset of what you can currently
do on the Python API, in particular, access to the structure layout of
Python objects would not be available.

Extension modules compiled against this API could then be compatible
across versions.

This would require both a change to the interpreter (to really mark
all API that is or is not "stable"), and to extension modules (to
restrict themselves to only this API).

Regards,
Martin