Parallel Python

parallelpython at gmail.com parallelpython at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 22:57:17 EST 2007

On Jan 12, 11:52 am, Neal Becker <ndbeck... at gmail.com> wrote:
> parallelpyt... at gmail.com wrote:
> > Has anybody tried to runparallelpythonapplications?
> > It appears that if your application is computation-bound using 'thread'
> > or 'threading' modules will not get you any speedup. That is because
> >pythoninterpreter uses GIL(Global Interpreter Lock) for internal
> > bookkeeping. The later allows only onepythonbyte-code instruction to
> > be executed at a time even if you have a multiprocessor computer.
> > To overcome this limitation, I've created ppsmp module:
> > http://www.parallelpython.com
> > It provides an easy way to runparallelpythonapplications on smp
> > computers.
> > I would appreciate any comments/suggestions regarding it.
> > Thank you!
>
> Looks interesting, but is there any way to use this for a cluster of
> machines over a network (not smp)?

There are 2 major updates regarding Parallel Python: http://
www.parallelpython.com

1) Now (since version 1.2) parallel python software could be used for
cluster-wide parallelization (or even Internet-wide). It's also
renamed accordingly: pp (module is backward compatible with ppsmp)

2) Parallel Python became open source (under BSD license): http://
www.parallelpython.com/content/view/18/32/