Pep 3105: the end of print?

Roel Schroeven rschroev_nospam_ml at fastmail.fm
Fri Feb 16 09:20:57 EST 2007

Edward K Ream schreef:
>> I'm pretty sure you're mistaken. Python 3 will be the release that breaks
>> code. Hopefully very little, but there almost certainly will be some.
>
> Pep 3105 breaks a *lot* of code, despite the bland assertion that most
> production programs don't use print.
>
> Presumably, Guido wanted to improve print in such a way that *more* people
> would use it.  But the effect of the pep is that *less* people will be able
> to use print, *regardless* of how backward compatible Python 3.x is
> 'allowed' to be.

AFAIK the intention is not primarily to get more people to use print.
Instead Guido has felt for some time that the print statement is a wart
in the language (see the references in PEP 3105 for his arguments), and
Python 3000 seems like a good opportunity to fix it once and for all.
Precisely because AFAIK the point of Python 3000 is to fix a number of
long-standing shortcomings, even if that means giving up a degree of
backward compatibility.

Roel Schroeven