python linux distro

Shawn Milo Shawn at Milochik.com
Thu Feb 8 10:57:44 EST 2007

On 2/8/07, dimitri pater <dimitri.pater at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> the world doesn't need another Linux distro, there are too many already...
> (> 100)
> I believe it's a better idea to spend your time contributing to an existing
> distro (e.g. http://www.ubuntu.com/developers/bounties)
> doing Python related stuff.  Besides that, all distros I know of (4) already
> have a lot of Python packages ready for download.
> regards,
> Dimitri

<snip>

You're right, there are too many. Not just over 100, but over 500. As
of this week, DistroWatch reports having 528 in their database. Check
out DistroWatch.com for details.

To the original poster:
You may not be a Linux expert, but if you feel like reading some
documentation, you can easily remaster a live CD such as Knoppix or
DSL (Damn Small Linux). Just to to the distro's site and check out the
documentation. This won't be the creation of a brand-new distro --
it's the same thing as changing the wallpaper and creating your custom
re-master just for yourself.

Both distros I mentioned (and many others, I'm sure) have a simple,
built-in tool for installing additional packages. Do that, then make
your re-image from your running live version.

Shawn