Copy a module build to another machine

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Mon Feb 26 09:26:35 EST 2007

bg_ie at yahoo.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have downloaded the source for PyXML-0.8.4, which has no binaries
> available for Python 2.5. Therefore I built it myself doing something
> like this -
>
> python2.5 setup.py build
> python2.5 setup.py install
>
> having installed cygwin (with gcc). Now lets say I'd like to install
> PyXML-0.8.4 on a number of other machines running the same os, what
> files would I need to copy, and to where, in order to install PyXML
> with just the line -
>
> python2.5 setup.py install
>
> In other words, I don't want to have to install cygwin on all these
> machines and build for each machine. Instead I want to create a simple
> install.

I'm not sure if that really works out. You can create eggs as distribution
format if you ahve setuptools installed like this:

easy_install-2.5 .

in the PyXML-dir.

This should create an egg that you then can install on all other machines
using

easy_install-2.5 <egg>

However, given that you used the GCC, I doubt you can really omit cygwin.

If you do things with the mingw though, it might work out.

Diez