Help with Optimization of Python software: real-time audiocontroller

Hendrik van Rooyen mail at microcorp.co.za
Tue Feb 13 02:00:14 EST 2007

"Jean-Paul Calderone" <exarkun at divmod.com> wrote:

> Yep.  There are even some existing Python applications which deal with
> sound and manage to work with ~20ms samples.

I agree. Python is not *that* slow...

I have written serial port communications that send and catch one
character at a time (raw, unbuffered i/o) - and they seem to work
well at 38400 baud, sending and receiving almost four characters
a millisecond, continuously, back to back,  without any stress

So to "get there" every twenty millis should not be a problem,
unless the machine is a real dog. (i.e. older than seven years)

Would not try to handle individual samples at 44 KiloHerz in
python though...

- Hendrik