Encoding / decoding strings

oliver at obeattie.com oliver at obeattie.com
Fri Jan 5 12:39:17 EST 2007

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch wrote:
> In <1168010144.000928.131920 at 42g2000cwt.googlegroups.com>,
> oliver at obeattie.com wrote:
>
> > Basically, I want to encode an email address so that it looks something
> > like 8d2e23c0a835598510c88a758c6b215a - this way the user does not know
> > the email address they are looking at. They are public-facing views and
> > they are to get info about other users, therefore anonymity is
> > important.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Don't deliver encoded e-mail addresses to other users.  They might decode
> them and the anonymity is gone.
>
> What exactly are you trying to do?  Why should users see encrypted e-mail
> addresses of others?
>
> Ciao,
> 	Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

Basically, what I am trying to do is display all comments by a
specified user on the website. As the only thing which has =always=
been used to identify users which never changes is their e-mail
addresses, this is the only thing which I can use. Obviously, I can't
display this e-mail address though.