What is proper way to require a method to be overridden?

Carroll, Barry Barry.Carroll at psc.com
Fri Jan 5 19:22:11 EST 2007

Greetings:

Thomas Christopher's book "Python Programming Patterns" has an example
of this that I like.  On page 72 he shows code for a class, AbstractSet,
which he later subclasses in ListSet and DictSet.  Each of the methods
intended for subclassing simply to raise a NotImplementedError, e.g.:

    def insert(self,x): raise NotImplementedError, "set.insert"

In this way the superclass's interface is well defined (the methods and
their parameters are all listed, but if invoked before they are
overwritten, they abort with a useful error message.  Pretty slick,
IMHO.

Regards,

Barry
barry.carroll at psc.com
541-302-1107
We who cut mere stones must always be envisioning cathedrals.

-Quarry worker's creed