Network failure when using urllib2

Ravi Teja webraviteja at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 20:26:27 EST 2007

jdvolz at gmail.com wrote:
> I am fetching different web pages (never the same one) from a web
> server.  Does that make a difference with them trying to block me?
> Also, if it was only that site blocking me, then why does the internet
> not work in other programs when this happens in the script.  It is
> almost like something is seeing a lot of traffic from my computer, and
> cutting it off thinking it is some kind of virus or worm.  I am
> starting to suspect my firewall.  Anyone else have this happen?
>
> I am going to read over that documentation you suggested to see if I
> can get any ideas.  Thanks for the link.
>
> Shuad

No! What I suggested should not effect traffic from other servers. I
would go with Gabriel's suggestion and check for open connections just
in case. Although I can't imagine why that would give you a 404
response since it is a server response (implies successful connection).
I would expect that you would get a client error in such a case.

Of course, you can always rule out your suspicions of local conditions
(turn off security software briefly or try from a different machine)
unless your ISP is implementing safeguards against DOS attacks from
their network with normal users in mind.

Ravi Teja.