Newbie: Capture traceback message to string?

Thomas Guettler guettli.usenet at thomas-guettler.de
Wed Jan 17 10:31:03 EST 2007

Sean Schertell wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm new to Python and this is my first post to the list.
>
> I'm trying to simply capture exception text to a few strings which
> can be passed to a PSP page to display a pretty error message. The
> problem is that I just can't seem to figure out how to get the basic
> components of the traceback message into strings. Here's what I want
> to do:

# http://www.thomas-guettler.de/vortraege/python/beispiele.py.txt
def foo():
    raise("Das ist eine Exception")
try:
    foo()
except:
    import traceback
    import cStringIO
    (exc_type, exc_value, tb) = sys.exc_info()
    exc_file = cStringIO.StringIO()
    traceback.print_exception(exc_type, exc_value, tb, file=exc_file)
    exc_string=exc_file.getvalue()
    print exc_string

Why don't you use cgitb? It is one reason why I like this language.

HTH,
 Thomas

--
Thomas Güttler, http://www.thomas-guettler.de/ http://www.tbz-pariv.de/