OT Annoying Habits (Was: when format strings attack)

Carroll, Barry Barry.Carroll at psc.com
Fri Jan 19 16:43:52 EST 2007

Hello again.

First off, Aahz is absolutely right. It is my choice, just as it is his
choice what to read and what to ignore.  My reply was about the fuss,
not the choice.

Secondly, can someone point me to the Standard Usenet Convention that
mandates against top-posting.  This is not sarcasm; I would really like
to see it.  You see, I recently returned to Usenet after a LONG absence.
When I was last a regular Usenet citizen the Internet was new, GUI
interfaces were experimental and the World Wide Web didn't exist yet.
Newsreader software was text-based.  Top-posting was the common
practice, because it was the most convenient: you didn't have to page
through an arbitrarily large number of messages, most of which you'd
already read umpteen times, to get to the new stuff you were interested
in.

So I'd really like to know what the standard is now.  I like to know
which rules I'm choosing to break.  ;^)

Regards,

Barry
barry.carroll at psc.com
541-302-1107
We who cut mere stones must always be envisioning cathedrals.

-Quarry worker's creed

=20