Why no maintained wrapper to Win32?

sturlamolden sturlamolden at yahoo.no
Tue Jul 31 15:53:05 EDT 2007

On Jul 31, 4:35 am, Gilles Ganault <nos... at nospam.com> wrote:

> Because I'd like to avoid having to pack several MB + having to
> install the toolkit. Considering the size of the typical Python
> script, it seemed overkill.

But you are happy to pack a Python runtime and PyWin32? This is really
a dumb argument.

> >Sure, you could use ctypes to make calls into user32.dll, gdi32.dll
> >and kernel32.dll. Then you can program Python GUIs using the plain
> >Win32 API, avoiding PyWin32's MFC or wxPython. But who would do such a
> >thing?

> So the PyWin32 interface doesn't make it easier to program Win32 GUI
> apps? It's just C that looks like Python?

PyWin32 wraps MFC, which is a C++ library for Windows (and Motif) GUI
programming. It is not more 'native' than wxPython. MFC and wxWidgets
does the same job, except that wxWidgets does it better.

PyWin32 does not expose the GUI parts of the 'native' Win32 API
directly. You will have to use ctypes to access that directly.

> Guess I have the answer as to no one seems to write GUI apps for
> Windows natively :-)

wxPyhton is 'native' enough. Is uses native widgets on Windows (unlike
Qt, GTK and tk).