Can a low-level programmer learn OOP?

Chris Carlen crcarleRemoveThis at BOGUSsandia.gov
Fri Jul 13 20:12:33 EDT 2007

Aahz wrote:
> In article <f787ul0npv at news4.newsguy.com>,
> Chris Carlen  <crcarleRemoveThis at BOGUSsandia.gov> wrote:
>>From what I've read of OOP, I don't get it.
>
> For that matter, even using OOP a bit with C++ and Perl, I didn't get it
> until I learned Python.
>
>>The problem for me is that I've programmed extensively in C and .asm on
>>PC DOS way back in 1988.
>
> Newbie.  ;-)
>
> (I started with BASIC in 1976.)

Heh heh, I actually first programmed when the RadioShack TRS-80 came
out.  I think I saw it first in 1978 when I was 11.  I would hang out in
the store for hours writing crude video games.

> My experience is that learning GUI programming is difficult.  Moreover,
> GUI programming in C involves a lot of boilerplate that can be automated
> more easily with Python.  So I think this will be a better solution.
>
> Note very very carefully that Python does not require an OOP style of
> programming, but it will almost certainly be the case that you just
> naturally start using OOP techniques as you learn Python.

Thanks for the input!

--
Good day!

Christopher R. Carlen
Principal Laser&Electronics Technologist
Sandia National Laboratories CA USA
crcarleRemoveThis at BOGUSsandia.gov
NOTE, delete texts: "RemoveThis" and
"BOGUS" from email address to reply.