code packaging

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Fri Jul 20 19:12:13 EDT 2007

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> writes:

> Is this appropriate?  Inappropriate?  Do your projects start using
> serious packaging and distribution tools very early in development,
> before the code is anywhere near usable?  Should they?

Yes. Test-driven development has taught me that putting off important
parts of the development process until the end is rarely a good
idea. So, I try to make a point of writing the first features inside a
complete unit test environment, and inside a complete
distribution/build environment. The tests are run continuously while
developing the code, and the distribution/build process is tested
manually.

I'm looking into the "build-bot" approach used to ensure that the
build process is also run automatically and continually during
development, just like the unit tests <URL:http://buildbot.net/>; but
so far I'm running the build manually.

--
 \        "Read not to contradict and confute, nor to believe and take |
  `\     for granted ... but to weigh and consider."  -- Francis Bacon |