Relative Imports

Pat O'Hara patohara at
Tue Jul 17 19:11:54 CEST 2007

Hey guys, I know this is a really stupid question, but I've tried
googling and nothing came up. I also tried IRC, but it was too crowded
and I didn't get much useful information.

I'm using Python 2.5 on WinXP, and I'm trying to do a relative import.
Here's the package structure

   [some more modules]
   B/ needs to use; package A's
looks like this:

from aneededmodule import somestuff

My problem is that when anothermodule tries to import ..aneededmodule or
..somestuff (because somestuff was imported into __init__), I get a
ValueError: Attempted relative import in non-package.

What's my problem? This seems like something very trivial, but I've
never had to use python for a project of this size before, so I've never
dealt with this.

Thanks for your help,