The best platform and editor for Python

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sun Jul 1 15:42:16 EDT 2007

In article <1183317054.513102.127950 at q69g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,
 kimiraikkonen <kimiraikkonen85 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> For experienced with Pyhton users, which developing software and
> enviroment would you suggest for Pyhton programming? Compiler+Editor
> +Debugger.
>
> Also what are your suggestions for beginners of Pyhton programming?
>

> Thank you.

I'm very happy with emacs using python mode (http://www.python.org/emacs/).
It's a love it or hate it kind of thing.  If you're an emacs fan, you'll
probably not want to use anything else.  If you're not an emacs fan, this
is probably not for you.

There really is no separate compiler.  It's part and parcel of the
interpreter.  Your .py files do get compiled into .pyc files, but it
happens automatically the first time you run a module.  No need to run a
separate compilation phase like you would with C or Java.

As for a debugger, I've honestly never found the need for one.  I invest a
lot of time in unit tests, which smoke out most of the bugs.  For what's
left, it's easy enough to stick print statements in strategic places to see
what's going on.