wxPython, threads, and search engine

Benjamin musiccomposition at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 21:54:19 EDT 2007

I'm writing a search engine in Python with wxPython as the GUI. I have
the actual searching preformed on a different thread from Gui thread.
It sends it's results through a Queue to the results ListCtrl which
adds a new item. This works fine or small searches, but when the
results number in the hundreds, the GUI is frozen for the duration of
the search. I suspect that so many search results are coming in that
the GUI thread is too busy updating lists to respond to events. I've
tried buffer the results so there's 20 results before they're sent to
the GUI thread and buffer them so the results are sent every .1
seconds. Nothing helps. Any advice would be great.