Simple search and Display system, no need for db?

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch bj_666 at gmx.net
Wed Jul 11 02:06:25 EDT 2007

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 01:57:28 +0000, flit wrote:

> The user goes there:
>
> - Choose the building -- Department and the user receive an html table
> with all names .
>
> So the user gives two inputs and receive the names.
>
> Currently we are using this in mysql, This is the reason of the
> debate.
>
> If our list will never change and we are supposing that will be true
> for a long time, is it not too much use an mysql?

Maybe mysql is really a bit "heavy" for this.  If you still want to use an
SQL DB then SQLite seems to be a candidate here.  It doesn't need a
server and comes with Python 2.5.  SQLite doesn't handle concurrent
updating of data that well, but in the given scenario there seem to be far
more queries than updates.

If the data is not too large, simple text files would do.  Maybe in CSV
format.  Either with building and department as columns in the files or
coded into the file name or path.

Another approach would be the JSON_ format.  Again, if the data is not too
large one might send the whole JSON document to the client browser and use
JavaScript on the client side to display and filter the name lists.  Then
you can slap the Web 2.0 buzz label onto the system.  ;-)

Ciao,
	Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch