PEP 3107 and stronger typing (note: probably a newbie question)

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Thu Jul 12 13:20:59 EDT 2007

In article <mailman.593.1184203846.22759.python-list at python.org>,
 Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:
> Donn Cave wrote:
> > Someday we will look at "variables" like we look at goto.
> >
> How very functional. I believe some people naturally think in terms of
> state transformations and some in terms of functional evaluation.  I am
> pretty firmly in the former camp myself, so variables are a natural
> repository for state to me.

Don't worry - there will be a state transformation monad for you!

Nature or nurture?  it would be interesting to see some identical twin
studies on novice programmers.  Since few of us were exposed first
to strictly functional programming, though, you have to wonder.  In
its day, goto was of course very well loved.

   Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu