Reading a Directory of Emails - Problems

Joshua J. Kugler joshua at
Wed Jul 25 00:28:11 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 24 July 2007 09:38, Ryan Rosario wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a directory that contains a bunch of email messages and I would
> like to parse them using the email and mailbox packages. The emails were
> exported from Apple Mail. From what I gather, I need to use MHMailbox, but
> I can't get it to do anything useful and I cannot find any examples of how
> to use this particular mailbox type.
> mbox =
> mailbox.MHMailbox('stat_inbox.mbox/Messages',email.message_from_file) for
> msg in mbox:
>     print msg.keys()          #just to see if anything is happening
> I get an error. AttributeError: MHMailbox instance has no attribute
> 'keys'. Yet this works when using PortableUnixMailbox (on an mbox file,
> not a directory of emails).

I fought with this a while back.  It seems it is nested one level lower.
You might have to get at the message by doing something like

real_message = msg[0]

Instead of print msg.keys(), just do a 'print msg' and see what data
structure is returned.  That will tell you a lot.

Joshua Kugler
Lead System Admin -- Senior Programmer
PGP Key:  ID 0xDB26D7CE