wxGlade: Who knows how to drive this application?
rschroev_nospam_ml at fastmail.fm
Sat Jul 28 11:15:50 CEST 2007
Alberto Griggio schreef:
>> I've been trying to use wxGlade recently and I am finding it something
>> of a challenge. Is there any user who finds the user interface
>> satisfactory and the operation of the program predictable?
>> If so I would love to hear from you.
> Do you have some specific example of what you mean?
> Sure, wxGlade has bugs and isn't always in sync with the latest wxPython
> changes (usually the CVS version is better in this respect), but
> suggestions on how to improve it are always welcome...
Here are some things I can think of, in no particular order:
- I have to find and select the frame I'm working on in the tree to
display the preview of that frame. That's especially cumbersome if
I'm playing with the properties of a widget to see their effect;
then I find myself constantly switching between the frame and the
widget. Solutions I can think of:
- maybe a "Refresh"-functionality in the preview-window (via a
right-click, F5, ctrl-R, window system menu?).
- possibility to have multiple Properties window open.
- a "Preview" in each Properties window; when used with a widget
that doesn't support it, work up the tree until a widget is
encountered that does support a preview.
- Put a Preview-item in the right-click menu for the frame widget in
the tree window.
- Changes in preferences don't take effect until wxGlade is restarted.
It's workable, but it would be nice if e.g. a change in "Default
border width for widgets" would take effect immediately.
- It's cumbersome to change the order of widgets in a sizer. Ideally I
should be able to drag and drop the widgets into place in the tree
window and/or the design window.
- I think drag and drop should also work to move widgets from one
sizer to another in the tree window. If the target sizer doesn't
have a free slot, one should be added automatically.
- Suppose I have a frame; the frame contains a sizer with a number
slots containing widgets and/or other sizers. Now I realize I need a
panel in the frame as a container for all sizers and widgets. I
should have thought of that earlier of course, but I still feel
there should be an easy way to insert it in the right place in the
- Often the keyboard shortcuts (del, ctrl-x, ctrl-v) don't seem to
work in the design window.
- If I select a widget in the tree, it is visually marked in the
design window. I think that should happen for sizers too.
- Often when you add an empty slot, you have to make the designer
window larger, to show the new slot. I think that should happen
- In general, I find myself switching between the properties window,
the tree window and the design window an awful lot of times. I'm not
sure how to improve that.
- Spacers have the same color as panels, making them invisible in the
design window when places on them.
If I have been able to see further, it was only because I stood
on the shoulders of giants. -- Isaac Newton
More information about the Python-list