Tiny/small/minimalist Python?

Irmen de Jong irmen.NOSPAM at xs4all.nl
Mon Jul 2 20:26:43 EDT 2007

Paul Rubin wrote:
> rtk <oneelkruns at hotmail.com> writes:
>> FYI.. I wanted a simple version of Python to run on an ancient DEC
>> Alpha box.  I got VMS Python 2.5 up and running but it is too slow to
>> use.  It takes *minutes* to get the interpreter prompt after typing
>> 'python'!
>
> Something is wrong.  Maybe it's trying to DNS itself and timing out,
> or something like that.

Something is definately wrong.

Back in the days my port of Python to the Commodore Amiga machine ran
quite comfortably on a 50 mhz CPU with 4 Mb of RAM. (ok ok it was
Python 1.5.2, that has to be said).
Python started in about 5 seconds on that Amiga if I remember
correctly. I'm quite sure your 'ancient' DEC Alpha box is way more
powerful than my Amiga back then.

--Irmen