object references/memory access

greg greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Jul 4 22:15:21 EDT 2007

John Nagle wrote:
> C gets to
> run briefly, drains out the pipe, and blocks.  P gets to run,
> fills the pipe, and blocks.  The compute-bound thread gets to run,
> runs for a full time quantum, and loses the CPU to C.  Wash,
> rinse, repeat.

I thought that unix schedulers were usually a bit more
intelligent than that, and would dynamically lower the
priority of processes using CPU heavily.

If it worked purely as you describe, then a CPU-bound
process would make any interactive application running
at the same time very unresponsive. That doesn't seem
to happen on any of today's desktop unix systems.

--
Greg