Detecting __future__ features

André andre.roberge at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 08:53:36 EDT 2007

On Jul 30, 9:39 am, Neil Cerutti <horp... at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 2007-07-30, Steven D'Aprano
>
> <st... at REMOVE.THIS.cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> > How would one tell at runtime if a particular feature has been
> > enabled by the "from __future__ import thing" statement?
>
> I don't understand the qualification, "at runtime," you're
> making. What's wrong with just importing what you want and using
> it? If it's already been enabled, no harm will come from the
> import statement.

I'm not the OP, so perhaps I am missing his intent. However, I can see
a good reason for asking this question.

I seem to recall that the "from __future__ import" statement can only
be done at the beginning of a script.  What if you are designing a
module meant to be imported, and used by other programs over which you
have no control?   You can't use "from __future__ import" in your
module.  So, you may have to find a way to figure out what's been
done.  (the example given with the division operator is a good one).

André