Why PHP is so much more popular for web-development

paul paul at subsignal.org
Thu Jul 26 04:09:42 EDT 2007

Carsten Haese schrieb:
>> Also, PHP, and PHP frameworks, are supported everywhere. If you going
>> to use a PHP MVC framework, like codeignitor, you would have a hard
>> time finding a hoster that didn't support it - all you need is php4
>> and mysql. Dollar-hosting, for $10 a year, should work just fine with
>> codeignitor. With codeignitor, just copy your files to whatever host,
>> and that's it, you're done.
>>
>> By contrast, the most popular Python frameworks have sky-high system
>> requirements. Take a look at the requirements and/or recomendations
>> for popular Python frameworks like Django, TurboGears, or CherryPy:
>> Apache 2.0, mod_python (latest version), fastcgi (at least), command
>> line access, PostgreSQL. And a lot of low-cost hosters don't support
>> Python at all.
>
> The comparison is not fair on many levels. PHP is not a framework like
> Django or TG. You get a lot more stuff with Django or TG, so of course
> the requirements are higher.
Wait a minute, did he write "Also, PHP and PHP frameworks are supported
everywhere..."? And he is right, you can drop symphony or cakePHP in
your webroot and it will work, period.

> Seriously, take a closer look at CherryPy. With CherryPy, you don't even
> need Apache since it provides its own web server.
So how do you run this in production? There's only one port 80, you'd
need e.g. mod_proxy + CherryPy on a high port as a long running process.
That's just not possible in most shared hosting envs, plus you'd have to
monitor cherrypy and whatnot.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending PHP but from a deployment POV
python is definitely more complex.

cheers
  Paul