Why PHP is so much more popular for web-development

Jeff McNeil jeff at jmcneil.net
Wed Jul 25 14:58:12 EDT 2007

Unfortunately, I also find that PHP programmers are usually more
plentiful than their Python counterparts.  When thinking of staffing
an organization, it's common to target a skill set that's cheaper to
employ and easier to replace down the road if need be.

Also, larger hosting shops are hesitant to run things such as TG and
Rails that require an additional server process.  The name of the game
is density.  Sure, it may be easy to manage and run a TG project, but
it's a pain to set one up on a shared hosting server.

Lastly, I personally think it has something to do with the fact that
so many of the popular, free, web applications are PHP based. It's
easy for the average Web Administrator to get started with your
standard PHP package. From there, picking up the language is the next
logical step.

-Jeff