Imported globals?

Gary Herron gherron at islandtraining.com
Fri Jul 27 11:56:27 EDT 2007

Valentina Vaneeva wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to Python and I've found something in its interpreter that I
> don't quite understand, and I don't really know how to correctly
> formulate a search query. Here's the question.
>
> If we have a file module_a.py with the following content:
>
> |	#!/usr/bin/env python
> |
> |	value = 'initial'
> |
> |	def change_value():
> |		global value
> |		value = 'changed'
>
> and a file module_b.py:
>
> |	#!/usr/bin/env python
> |
> |	from module_a import value, change_value
> |
> |	change_value()
> |	print value
>
> Then, if we run module_b.py, it will print "initial". However, if one
> adds to the end of module_a.py this line:
>
> |	change_value()
>
> The script module_b.py will print "changed".
>
> It seems that in the first case change_value() called in module_b.py
> ignores the global statement. Is it so? Why? What happens in the second
> case? I really don't get it.

In Python, there are not any truly "global" variables as you're thinking
of them.   Instead, each module has it's own global space.  You are
tripping over the fact that module_a and module_b have their own
separate global spaces.

The variable "value" is global in module_a, and "change_value" will
always refer to that variable.

However, in module_b, when you
     from module_a import value, change_value
you have created two new variables global to module_b that references
values from the other module.
Now running change_value (which changes "value" in module_a has no
affect on the version of "value" in module_b.   Your print is then
printing value from module_b -- the unchanged version.

If you truly want to examine value in module_a, the you have to access it as
    import module_a
    module_a.change_value()
    print module_a.value

You can do both
    import module_a
    from module_a import change_value
but that's probably confusing and generally considered a bad idea.

Ideas:

1 If you want module_a to manage such a global variable, you could
include functions for getting, and setting it, as well as your function
for changing it's value.

2. You could also dispense with use of global values -- various OOP
techniques could help there.

Gary Herron