The best platform and editor for Python

Thu Jul 5 19:13:33 EDT 2007

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 14:13:29 -0700, Kay Schluehr wrote:

> On Jul 5, 7:18 pm, kimiraikkonen <kimiraikkone... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I just wanted a simple answer to my simple question, however topic has
>> messed up. Think questioner as a beginner and use more understandable
>> terms to help :)
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> The problem is simply that the Python community has failed in this
> respect. There are many platform dependent and ideology driven ways to
> do deal with code editing / debugging but not actually a recommend or
> "pythonic" way.

What makes you think this is a *problem*?

Why is it a failure that Python is perfectly usable with a whole range
of editors, debuggers and development styles?

> Other than Smalltalk, Python has not created an own
> style / identity regarding decent development environments and since
> half of the community is happy with Emacs and the other half wants to
> program in a VS-like environment, neither consensus nor progress has
> to be expected.

I don't accept that consensus on editing tools is a good thing, let
alone a necessity. Nor that progress is only possible when everybody
agrees. To quote from one of my favourite fictional characters, Lord
Vetinari:

"Pulling together is the aim of despotism and tyranny. Free men pull
in all kinds of directions." He smiled, "It's the only way to make
progress. That and, of course, moving with the times."
-Terry Pratchett, "The Truth"

--
Steven.