xml yml and dependency hell

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Tue Jul 10 23:04:18 EDT 2007

Rustom Mody a écrit :
> yaml by its indent-orientation is quite pythonic.  In comparison xml
> is cumbersome and laborious.
>
> Strangely ruby supports yaml out of the box but python requires a
> third party package PyYAML.
>
> Now this may not seem like a big deal for us -- installing pyYAML
> takes all of one minute -- but it may not be so to others as I
> recently learned.
>
> I conducted a python training for a corporate in which I showed among
> other things that yaml is much neater than xml.  They agreed that it
> was neat but were reluctant to consider it because it adds dependency
> headaches at a later point with their customers.
>
> So is it likely that yaml will make it to the standard python library
> at some point??

"dependency headaches" ? AFAICT from the project's site, pyYAML is a
pure Python package, and the only requirement mentioned is Python 2.3.
Compared to some products often in use in "corporate" environment, I
wouldn't call this a "dependency headaches".

Not that I disagree with the idea of including pyYAML in the standard
lib - this would be in pahse with the "batteries included" philosophie
IMHO - but then, what about python-json ? FWIW, JSON being another
pretty good alternative to XML, and probably more used than YAML, thanks
to the Ajax/Web2.0 madness.

But anyway, the inclusion of a package in the standard lib is a somehow
formalized process (cf pep 0002 [1]), supposed to be initiated by the
package's maintainers. So if you want this to happen for pyYAML, you'll
  first have to talk about it with the project's leaders.

[1] http://python.org/dev/peps/pep-0002/