The Modernization of Emacs: terminology buffer and keybinding

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Sun Jul 8 02:11:41 EDT 2007

Twisted <twisted0n3 at gmail.com> writes:

> On Jul 7, 6:12 pm, Lew <l... at lewscanon.nospam> wrote:
>> Twisted wrote:
>>
>> > I don't know, but it sure as hell isn't emacs.
>>
>> The reason you don't know, and Edward Dodge's point, is that there is no such
>> app, whether emacs or not.
>
> Translation: since perfection is unattainable, we shouldn't even try,
> and just foist upon our poor users whatever awkward and hard-to-learn
> interface pops into our heads first?

I recommend you just shut up _until_ you have checked out a recent
version of Emacs.  You just have no clue what you are talking about
and are still stuck in the eighties.

Emacs has an obvious "Help" toolbar button in the standard place, it
has a "Help" menu in the standard place, it reacts to presses of F1 by
delivering help, it has tooltips all over the mode line and for pretty
much every menu entry (and the menus are plenty and well-sorted for
doing the most-frequent tasks).

In addition, the quality of those help items is far above average.
But you would not know since you prefer babbling about some passing
decade-old experience.  If you had invested half of the time using
Emacs you have invested for complaining about it, you'd at least have
a chance not to look like the totally pompous clueless idiot you do
now.